Healthy Zuppa Toscana Soup (Sausage and Kale)

I have made Zuppa Toscana before on this blog.  However, recently, I have changed my eating habits to avoid dairy and starch so I have had to figure out new ways of making some of my old soups.  This one did not disappoint! Even my husband, who is not a huge fan of soup, loved this one.  It will definitely become a staple in our house this winter. 

Healthy Zuppa Toscana Soup


  • 1 tablespoon of  organic olive oil or grass fed butter (I love Kerrygold!)
  • 1 pound of ground Italian sausage (I use mild, but if you like spicy soup, go for the spicy!)
  • 6 cups chicken bone broth (you can use regular chicken broth, but you'll get more protein using bone broth)
  • 1/2 large head of cauliflower broken into florets. (I am lazy so I just buy the microwaveable pouches in the produce section. They are about 10 ounces at our store and it is the perfect amount. But if you like more cauliflower, then add more!)
  • 1 tablespoon of Italian seasoning
  • 1 teaspoon of garlic powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon of red pepper flakes (add more if you are into spice!)
  • Salt and pepper (to taste)
  • 1 can (13-15 ounces) of full fat coconut milk (Not the sweet stuff, just regular coconut milk. I love Trader Joe's version. You can purchase it on Amazon but so much cheaper in the store.  Like seriously, don't buy it from Amazon.  Your local grocery store will have something similar.)
  • 2 cups of chopped organic kale. (I buy kale in a big bag from the grocery store but they aren't great about getting it off the stems.  The thick stems are not good, in my opinion. But sure to remove them and chop the kale into bite size pieces. 


In a large soup pan (I use an old pressure cooker, but don't pressurize it!) heat oil or butter over medium to medium-high heat. Add the Italian sausage and cook, breaking it up as you go, until nicely brown.  Add the bone broth and get all of those tasty brown scrapings off the bottom of the pot! Then add your cauliflower and all the seasonings.  Mix well and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat, cover and simmer for about 10 minutes.  Add the coconut milk and the kale, bring back to a boil and simmer for another 5 minutes or until the cauliflower is fork tender and the kale has wilted and become tender. Adjust salt and pepper as needed and serve! 



Comments