Fresh Basil Pesto

I admit it... I am a pesto fanatic... I can't imagine anything better than a freshly made pesto... I had it in restaurants for so many years, never realizing how easy it is to make at home. It's simple and you can put it on everything... burgers, bread, pasta, vegetables.... the possibilities are endless!

2 cups fresh basil leaves
1 cup fresh flat leaf (Italian parsley)
1/2 cup grated Parmesan (Romano works too)
1/2 cup toasted pine nuts (I substitute walnuts when I don't have pine nuts... just toast them up in a small skillet on top of the stove. Your nose will let you know when they are done! You can also use pecans for a different taste!)
4 garlic gloves, peeled and roughly chopped (use fresh - not that jarred stuff)
1/4 teaspoon salt (I only cook with kosher salt)
1/2 cup of good quality olive oil

Put all ingredients except olive oil into food processor. Pulse until ingredients are combined and starting to break down. While processor is on, drizzle olive oil in through top and combine until pesto is smooth.

It's that EASY! And the best pesto you will ever eat outside of a really great restaurant. It puts that store bought stuff to shame! You'll never buy it again once you've made this and realize how easy it is!

Comments