Crock Pot Chicken and Dumplings

My grandmother was the best cook in the entire world. She could make anything. My first experiences with cooking were with my "Mowie" as we called her. She would always let me help and always let me lick the bowls! I would ask for a certain dessert, no matter what it was and at the end of the day when I came home from school, it was waiting for me. My mom finally told me I wasn't allowed to ask her to make anything. So I would go through her recipes and pick one out and stick it on the fridge... I didn't ask... but it was still there when I came home from school. And when my mom questioned, Mowie would tell her that I didn't ask her to make it. She didn't have to lie and I still got what I wanted. She passed away when I was 17. In many ways that was even harder than losing my dad. She was such an amazing woman and I will always miss her.

One of her specialties was chicken and dumplings. She hand rolled the dough and the simmered on the stove for hours. I could never duplicate hers, but this is a fairly good replica. Better than the ones my mom makes out of tortillas... but Morgan says I shouldn't be mean by saying that. (Although she did whisper in my ear tonight that she liked my recipe better than her Nana's -- but I won't be mean and tell my mom!) It was super easy.

Crock Pot Chicken and Dumplings

4 bone in, skin on chicken thighs
1 can cream of mushroom with roasted garlic soup
1 can mushrooms
Salt and Pepper

Put above ingredients in crock pot and cook on low for 6 hours. Chicken will be falling off the bone. Pull bones, skin and gristle from crock pot. Mix up so chicken breaks into smaller pieces.

Then add:

1 small can of refrigerator biscuits (cut into small pieces – about 6 pieces per biscuit). Turn on high and cook for about 30 minutes or until dough pieces are done in the middle.

This should have made 4 servings, but had big eaters. You could easily double it and use a regular size can of biscuits. We'll definitely be doing this one again. I LOVE the crock pot!

Comments