Cream of Mushroom Soup

I am on a huge soup kick lately.  This has to be one of my absolute favorites.  This recipe should serve four as it is stated, but I promise you I could eat it all by myself!  It's that good. 

Cream of Mushroom Soup

2 pounds of regular white mushrooms (I actually used a combination of white and baby bells)
1 Tbsp Lemon Juice
2 Tbsp Unsalted Butter
4 Tbsp Minced Shallots
2 Tbsp Fresh Thyme or 2 Teaspoons Dried Thyme (Use fresh if at all possible!)
Bay Leaf
2 Teaspoons of Salt
1 Teaspoon of Fresh Ground Pepper
4 Cups Heavy Cream
3 Cups Chicken Stock
2 Teaspoons Cornstarch dissolved in 2 Tbsps of water

In a food processor, coarsley chop the mushrooms and lemon juice.

Melt butter in a large sauce pan and lightly saute shallots on medium heat.  Add mushrooms, thyme and bay leaf, saute over moderate heat for about 15 minutes or until the liquid that is released from the mushrooms disappears.

Add salt, pepper, cream and chicken stock and bring to a boil.  Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes. 

Add cornstarch mixture and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring frequently.  Correct season and add more lemon juice to taste.  (I am not big on lemon flavor so I didn't add more).

Comments