Sweet Potato and Andouille Sausage Bisque

My soup addiction has reached an entirely new level with this soup. I freely admit to eating it 7 days in row. I had it for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Sometimes all in the same day. I am not ashamed of this. I was actually very sad when I ate the last of it last night.

This one makes a LOT of soup. You need the big soup kettle for this one. And it freezes well. I shared it with two families, we had it for one meal and I still had enough for a full week of meals off of it. My friend Wes (upon who I place full blame for my current addicted state) made this for our monthly supper club meeting and he froze leftovers and took to the church picnic. I would suggest hoarding it for your own selfish enjoyment. I can't wait to make another batch!

Sweet Potato & Andouille Bisque
Fortissimo Cafe on St. Charles Ave. (Origin of original recipe!)
New Orleans, LA

Ingredients:
5 medium sweet potatoes (WHOLE WITH SKINS!!)
1 stick (approximately 1 pound) of Andouille sausage, diced
1 pound butter
2 cups flour
2 medium onions (Vidalia where available), diced fine
1 medium bunch celery, diced fine
2 medium red bell pepper (no green), diced fine
1 Tablespoon cayenne pepper (I only used a half because I had kids and some other wimpy folks eating it.  Make it as spicy as you like it!)
Salt to taste
2 quarts heavy cream
1/2-3/4 gallon (approximately more/less) scalded milk (I admit I had to look this up. I have never heard of scaled milk!  Here is a video and explanation!)
Freshly grated nutmeg
Sherry
Instructions:
Boil 5 medium sweet potatoes until tender. Boil them whole.  Important.  You get all the good nutrients from the skin.  It does matter! Let them cool enough to handle and then peel and puree sweet potatoes. Dice 1/2 stick (approximately 1/2 pound) of Andouille sausage. (Browned and chopped bacon can be substituted if Andouille is unavailable.)

In the meantime, in large stock pot, saute all vegetables and spices in butter until tender. Add flour and let heat for 2 to 3 minutes but do not brown. Add pureed sweet potatoes and diced Andouille. Stir to mix. Add heavy cream, stirring constantly here forward. Add scalded milk to desired richness. Finish with sherry and fresh grated nutmeg across the top of finished bisque. Salt to taste.


It gets pretty thick when you store the leftovers in the fridge.  I thinned out each bowl with a little bit of milk as I re-heated it in the microwave.  It was perfect.


I am dreaming about this soup right now.  Wishing I had a bowl.  Planning when I can make it again.  Maybe tonight? 


Comments