Roasted Jalapeno Soup

I know that most people probably wonder how I can eat soup every day.  My own family even questions my strange tastes.  However, it does not keep them from at least sampling my latest creation.   I love soup.  And there are just so many different varieties that I never get tired.  I have some staples that I make over and over and then I have these every once in a while special treats.  This one is going to be one of those.  It doesn't make a big pot.  In fact, I made one pot yesterday and it was gone by the end of the day.  And I can assure you that I ate most all of it.  Sorry, I am not sorry...  

Roasted Jalapeno Soup
  • 4 green jalapeno peppers
  • 1/2 cup carrots, peeled and chopped (roughly 2 carrots)
  • 1/2 cup onion, peeled and chopped (roughly 1 small onion)
  • 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
  • 2 tbsp olive oil
  • 3 Tbsp butter
  • 1/4 cup flour (4 Tablespoons)
  • 2 1/2 cups stock (chicken or vegetable)
  • 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream or milk
  • Salt and pepper
Preheat broiler.  Cut jalapenos in half, remove seeds and membranes.  Broil for 4-6 minutes, keeping an eye on the peppers pretty closely.  (Don't get busy doing the rest of the prep and forget them... they will be charred to a crisp quickly!)  Once they start to darken and start getting soft, remove from oven and let cool slightly.  The skins will easily peel off where the charred spots are.  Chop them into small pieces once cool enough to handle easily.  (P.S.  I use gloves for all of this process.  I don't like hot pepper fingers at all.)

In your soup pot heat the olive oil and add the carrots, onion and garlic.  Cook until they start to soften.  Then add the butter.  Once butter has melted, stir in flour and keep stirring for a couple of minutes.  Slowly add stock and stir until smooth.  Add the jalapenos.  Bring to a boil, add cream and then lower heat and simmer until soup has thickened.  Will only take about 5 minutes or so.  Salt and pepper to taste.  Puree using an immersion blender or transfer to a blender and then back to pot.   

It is different than most of the soups I make.  It only makes about 2 cups and it is super creamy even though it only has half a cup of cream in it.  It has a really good flavor.  Slightly spicy but nothing over the top.  I obviously eat as a meal but it would be a wonderful first course for a nice Mexican style dinner.  

Adapted from Chocolate Moosey.

Comments