Creamy Tomato Soup with Goat Cheese

This is absolutely my newest, favorite tomato soup recipe.  I have been trying for years to perfect one.  I have found some that come close, but have never been able to make one that I found really hit the spot with me.  I finished this pot in less than 24 hours.  I did share a small bowl with an elderly friend, but I had to pull out all the altruism that I could muster to do so.  I really wanted to be selfish with this one.  Amazingly this recipe has no sugar or butter.  The creaminess comes from the delicious goat cheese.  If you can find it fresh, you absolutely need to go that route.  I use fresh when I can get it but buy it in bulk at Sam's Club when I can't get it fresh.  I can eat it on anything... crackers, chips, dips, nachos, soups, casseroles... I really like goat cheese.  Can you tell?  So when you see my going in to a local business and coming out with a sandwich bag full of white substance... I have not gone to the dark side.  I am simply feeding my goat cheese addiction!

Creamy Tomato Soup with Goat Cheese
  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • 1 medium sweet onion, chopped
  • 6 cloves garlic, chopped
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • Freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 can (28-ounce) diced tomatoes, un-drained (use San Marzano if at all possible.  They are the best canned tomatoes that you can purchase.  It really, really makes a difference!)
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 3/4 cup crumbled goat cheese
  • Bunch of large fresh basil leaves, roughly chopped
  • 1/4 water
  • 2 tablespoons toasted pine nuts
Melt the butter in a 3-quart saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and saute, stirring frequently, until the onion is soft and translucent and the garlic tender, but not browned. Add the salt and a few grinds of black pepper.

Add the tomatoes, along with their liquid and bring the mixture to a slow simmer. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 8 to 10 minutes.

Add the milk and goat cheese and continue cooking until the cheese has melted. Add the basil (saving a small amount for garnish) and stir until wilted.

Using a hand-held immersion blender (or conventional blender), puree the mixture until smooth. Add the water to thin slightly and stir in the pine nuts and keep warm until served. Sprinkle with reserved basil before serving.

The recipe makes about 4 cups of soup.  For me that is basically two meals worth!  I normally just have soup as my meal.  I love this stuff!!  I was almost sad when I finished if off today at lunch.  However, I have a plan to make my Mexican Corn Soup this evening so I will have to take solace in that.  And make another pot of tomato later in the week which I get my next goat cheese hook up!

Adapted from My Gourmet Connection.


Comments