Magic Meatloaf

Growing up I was never a big fan of meatloaf.  My mom made it but I always felt like it was akin to Alpo. (Sorry, Mom!) It was a texture thing or something.  I assumed I didn't like any meatloaf for that reason.  Then I came upon a recipe in a 2008 Bon Appetite Magazine and it sounded good so I tried it, adding some of my own modifications.  Now I absolutely LOVE meatloaf and so does my family.  They get very excited when it's meatloaf day!  It is not a quick process but it is well worth it.  Try it.  You won't be disappointed! 

Magic Meatloaf

  • 2 lbs ground meat (Beef, pork, venison or a combination of any of these.  I usually do beef/venison or beef/pork.)
  • 1 cup fresh breadcrumbs (I usually get a loaf of French bread from the bakery section of the grocery store and grind it in my food processor. 
  • 3 large eggs
  • 1 cup grated onion (I use my box grater)
  • 1/2 - 3/4 cup peeled and grated carrots 
  • 1/2 cup ketchup
  • 4 Tbs hoisin sauce (in the Asian section of the grocery store)
  • 1 tsp chili garlic sauce (I use the one from the Asian section of the grocery store. If you want a spicier meatloaf you can use a chili garlic hot sauce found with the Cholula and other hot sauces.)
  • 1 tsp kosher salt
  • 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix ground meat, breadcrumbs, eggs, onions, carrots, ketchup, hoisin, garlic, chili garlic sauce, salt and pepper in a large bowl.  Do not over mix.  Just mix until it all comes together. Using your hands is the best way to mix it.  (Don't forget to remove your rings first!) Press into a 9x5x3 loaf pan. Place pan on a parchment lined baking pan to catch any spills.  It may bubble over.  Cook for about an hour and 15 minutes or until it reaches 160 degrees at the center. 

The original recipe called for a paste of ketchup and hoisin to be spread over the top of the meatloaf and cooked for another 15 minutes.  That brings back terrible memories of ketchup covered meatloaf from my childhood so I completely skip this step.  My family adds ketchup after they have it on their plate.  Something about hot ketchup on top... I just can't! 

We just eat it right out of the loaf pan.  I never try to flip it out. Just less mess this way.  And, of course, it is always so amazing as leftovers! We serve it with mashed potatoes.  I just thing meatloaf and mashed potatoes go together. Like PB & J! Just can't have one without the other.  

Comments