Mom's Sweet and Sour Pork

I really do not know the origin behind this recipe other than it is one of a few things that my mother made when I was growing up that I really liked. She seems to think the recipe came with her wok.  I only ever remember her making this one thing in that wok!  I haven't had this version in years but stumbled across the recipe today and decided to make it.  I am going to post it as written, however when I made it I was making it for quite a few of us so I actually used 2.5 pounds of pork.  I doubled the sauce recipe and just kind of guessed on the other ingredients.  It was just as good as I remember.

Sweet and Sour Pork

1/2 pound of pork cut into cubes (I used pork loin)

Marinate pork for at least 1/2 an hour in:

1/2 Tablespoon Sherry
1/2 Tablespoon Water
1/2 Tablespoon Soy Sauce (I used tamari to give it some extra flavor)
2 Teaspoons Flour
2 Teaspoons Cornstarch

Deep fry pork cubes in oil (I used canola) until golden brown. Remove pork cubes.  Drain except for about a teaspoon of oil.  Add to pan over high heat:

1 Red Bell Pepper Diced (recipe called for green)
1 Onion Diced (I also added some green onions just because I had them)

Cook over high heat for a couple of minutes.  Remove vegetables. 

Meanwhile whisk together:
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup vinegar
1/2 Teaspoon salt
2 Tablespoons catsup
1/2 cup pineapple juice
2 Teaspoons corn starch

Add mix to pan and heat, stirring constantly until sauce thickens.  Add vegetables and pork back into and heat through.  Add:

1/2 cup pineapple chunks
6 maraschino cherries

Stir until all is covered in sauce.
Serve with rice.   

Comments