Zuppa Toscana Soup

My sister loves to send me soup recipes she comes across.  This way I will make them and let her try them and she isn't stuck with a whole pot of soup that she may or may not like.  It works for us.  I have no problems making soup and do not mind sharing.  It's really almost a joke at this point.  I'm OK with it.  I have made a couple of soups that I didn't really like but I just try to create ways to make them better the next time.  

Most of my soups are creamy and cheesy and in case you haven't noticed, I am not a huge meat eater.  I will eat it.  I am not a vegetarian.  But if it weren't for bacon I probably could be.  This soup has meat.  Italian sausage.  And bacon.

This soup is supposedly a knock off of a similar soup at Olive Garden.  I don't eat at Olive Garden and I have never had this soup there so I cannot comment on the truth of that.  But it is good. That I know.  I just love soup!


Zuppa Toscana Soup
  • 1 lb Italian sausage, crumbled (the recipe calls for hot Italian sausage.  I don't like it.  I used mild.)
  • 1/2 lb chopped bacon
  • 1 quart chicken broth 
  • 3 cups water
  • 3 large russet potatoes, scrubbed clean and cubed (or more if you like lots of potatoes)
  • 3 cloves of garlic, minced
  • 1 large onion, peeled and chopped
  • 2 cups chopped kale
  • 1 cup heavy whipping cream
  • salt and pepper to taste

Brown sausage in soup pot over medium high heat.  Break up into small pieces as it cooks.  Drain sausage and set aside.  Place bacon in same pot and cook until done.  But not crispy.  Drain bacon and add to sausage.  Save some of the bacon grease in the bottom of the soup pot.  Add onions to the soup pot and cook for a few minutes until onions are softened.  Add garlic, potatoes, broth and water.  Simmer of medium heat until potatoes are tender.  Add sausage and bacon to the soup.  Simmer for 10 minutes.  Add kale and cream to pot, season with salt and pepper and heat thoroughly.   

Comments